About this Show

The Young Turks With Cenk Uygur

News/Business. (2013) New. (CC) (Stereo)

NETWORK

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING
PG

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 107 (CURNT)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
704

PIXEL HEIGHT
480

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Us 14, U.s. 11, United States 5, Washington 4, Yemen 3, Robert Mcdonald 2, Vo 2, Dan Mccown 2, America 2, Phil Spector 2, L.a. 2, Torturing Corey 1, Corey Choka 1, Maldonado 1, Vernon 1, Barbing 1, Chantix 1, Michael Jackson 1, John Brennan 1, Michael Shure 1,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  Current    The Young Turks With Cenk Uygur    News/Business.   
   (2013) New. (CC) (Stereo)  

    February 5, 2013
    4:00 - 5:00pm PST  

4:00pm
a monkey. this is not 1950s racism. >> i woke up like a baby. slept two hours and then wake up and cry. sleep two hours wake up and cry cry. >> i slept like a baby. sleep two hours and wake up and cry. >> hush little baby, don't say a word because you're done. finally phil spector you're done. we kept you around until i got what i needed. what i needed was this picture from an up coming hbo bio pic with al pa al pacino in a phil spector wig, there is nothing better but
4:01pm
thin mints and samoas. and i'm done talking now. >> jennifer: that was awesome. that wig was awesome. thank you brett. made my day. someone is always in our war room. check us out online at current.com/thewar room. check out our weapon extras and thank you for joining us on "the war room." have a great night. we'll see you back here tomorrow. >> cenk: welcome to "the young turks." now the white house has basically revealed yes, we're executing u.s. citizens without a trial and due process. did we mention that one of them was a 16-year-old boy? >> well initial reports describe him as a 20 something militant with al-qaeda, he was 16 years old and there is no public
4:02pm
evidence he was a member of the al-qaeda network in yemen. >> you're not going to be surprised to find i'm a little outraged on that. >> there was a shooting in 2005 in at a coma washington, the man shot five times in a wheelchair company now. we're going to talk to him about it. if you think you know what he's going to say, you don't. tune in for that. it's going to be a real interesting conversation. >> every time, it's here we go again. >> it stirs up old feelings. >> i'm annoyed. people are embracing evil, and i've never understood that. >> the story of a woman who was raped in our military and the incredible lack of justice she received. her husband's going to be on the show to talk about it, too a powerful show. it's go time.
4:03pm
>> cenk: we start with a story that's got my blood boiling the drone program. the white house calls it a secret. they have written a memo why they have a right to execute u.s. citizens abroad, but that's also a state secret. now that john brennan and perhaps check hagel's nominations might depend on it, a white paper is leaked to nbc news. listen to the details of what the government thinks it is allowed to do. >> it provides detail, it fleshes out some of the arguments that have been made publicly and in ways that in some instances contrast with what has been said publicly.
4:04pm
it specifically states that imminence does not mean that the united states has to have clear evidence that a specific attack on u.s. persons or interest is underway. now, again remember, we're talking about targeted killings of americans. we're talking about making decisions based on secret intelligence, and we see in this memo that some of the definitions are a bit more eelastic and open to interpretation. >> is there a bigger power than executing your own citizens without checking with any other body. normally, you check with the judiciary, do you think these people are guilty? now our executive branch says, we're the judge jury and executioner. we all got together and decided you know what, here's some u.s. citizens we'd like to execute. let's just make it happen.
4:05pm
frankly, it's disgusting and it would be disgusting under the bush administration, it's disgusting under the obama administration. if you're an obama supporter i got news for you, it is worse than what bush did. dick cheney couldn't imagine executing u.s. citizens without a trial abroad. obama has gone one step further than them. if you don't like those facts that's a sad day for you. those are facts. they are indisputable. we have the white paper now that shows. according to the white paper the standards are: >> an informed leader, then of course execute away. number two: except in the memo, they changed the definition of
4:06pm
imminent to mean not immediate. do you understand that? it is not actually eminent. so one who might pose a threat at a later time and if we don't know if they changed their mind later, that's also another sad day, we execute them anyway without asking a soul about it. number three: >> of course, later in the memo, it plains we wouldn't want to place an undue burden on our forces to capture them. if it's an undue burden to capture them, let's execute them anyway. this is unbelievable. thee american citizens have been executed. two of them, here's a quote about that. both were u.s. citizens never indicted by the u.s. government or charged with any crimes. can you imagine? they are not charged with any
4:07pm
crimes but our government decided to execute them anyway. >> some might look and say oh oh those guys have at your bans on. a lot of people have at your bans on. they weren't convicted of anything they're u.s. citizens just like you and i are. if you think i don't sympathize with them, if the government tells me they're guilty, they must be guilty. way to understand the concept of democracy. >> this is a video of his teenage son born in denver, colorado filmed by the fox special units. while they described him as a 20 something militant with al-qaeda, he was 16 years old and no evidence he was a member of the al-qaeda in yemen.
4:08pm
>> all right, now i want to bring in a couple of experts ted delaney in the los angeles bureau of the l.a. times. and a professor at the university of michigan and michael shure joins us. >> as a non-expert. >> but a man with strong opinions on this. michael, let me start with you. i understand that you're not totally opposed to this. >> no, i mean that's not a real understanding than what my position is on it, because of course i'm oh opposed to anything like this, especially when you look at what you just outlined there. this is elimination of the checks and balances, giving it to the executive branch. what i am questioning is the people that are critical of the brennan's and panettas of the
4:09pm
world to say how they are conducting these killings. since the drone program was put in fewer people than 2009 in collateral and it's hard to even say it with a straight face, what we call collateral damage, if you look at what the cruise missiles going into iraq did it's far different. these are strikes. i want to ask the experts where is the difference in being in a foreign land and in battle with an american national fighting us in a foreign land, what is the difference there? that is one of the things i think peel are contuse about. >> let's start with ken on that. they say we're all catholics we're so tortured by killing people. i don't believe you at all. people in the mainstream media believe what the government says is true.
4:10pm
if the government says they're guilty, they're terrorists. i don't believe the government. i know that's a radical thing for a journalist to say, i don't believe the government. i don't trust them blindly. what in the world is a battlefield? the entire world. can they execute somebody in your back yard. >> you keep using the word execute. obviously the government would not characterize it that way. >> cenk: well, how would you characterize it? >> they would call it a targeted killing. they say we're at war with al-qaeda therefore, if an american served in the german army in world war ii and was killed by the armed forces. they have declared war on the united states and we ever legal authority to kill them in states where we can't expedite them where a law enforcement option isn't feasible. the thing to draw from this memo is that the authority asserts
4:11pm
are much more expansive than the president discussed when he articulated this program. the issue of imminence when the president talks about the limited things that he said about this program in public, he said, you know, it's about an imminent plat, we need to stop an attack on the united states, that's immediate. this memo makes it clear that it doesn't have to be immediate. if you're a member of al-qaeda and al-qaeda is plotting against the united states, you're subject to being killed. most americans probably don't have a problem with that. we need to sort through these questions and understand what authorities our leaders citing to kill people without review. >> professor cole, talk to me about the battlefield today. it used to be an actual battlefield. we're not at war with pakistan and yemen, do we get to execute
4:12pm
people in allied countries? >> the problem is that the world is not a battlefield and defining it as such is all framework of law. the reason that the aclu is outraged by this memo is it is a lawless memo and goes back to the powers george iii had. he could say this guy is a bad guy, an outlaw. once you are an outlaw, you could be killed with i impunity. they could say so and so is a bad guy. actually in the u.s. constitution these procedures are forbidden. this memo is unconstitutional, and the only way that you get around the constitution here i guess by saying the whole world
4:13pm
is a battlefield. what i would ask is if we had a guy in guantanamo who's an american citizen and we had information that somehow he was getting information out signals out that were creating a threat to the united states, under this memo, couldn't the president have picked up the phone and ordered the marines to shoot him? he could. it's almost unlimited. i want to play you just two quick things from eric holder in the time that we have. number one he's going to try to explain the difference between immediate and imminent. good luck. >> attorney general you broad up the phrase imminent threat. is that the same as an ongoing threat? >> some of these things are fact-based and i can't necessarily get into the weeds and kind of parse these things. we can't examine these terms without having a reference to the facts. >> cenk: oops, yeah, that's our
4:14pm
standard. we have no standard. we execute people when we -- i'm sorry, targeted killing when we think it's appropriate depending on the facts. eric holder, weren't you the guy against this under the bush administration. >> you were a driving force behind at least during the bush administration torture memos. why aren't you a force for this? >> we'll have to look at this and see how -- what is it we want to do with these memos. you have to understand that we are talking about things that are -- that go into really kind of how we conduct our offensive operations against a clear and present danger to this nation. >> cenk: yeah, anybody have any sense of how that's different than bush claimed? no different at all. michael, last word. >> i want to ask ken and juan briefly, this is an asymmetriclesymmetrical
4:15pm
war. if there were judicial review, would it be ok to kill these people? is it about the judicial review or about the killing. >> cenk: ken take that one first. >> i think most americans would have no problem with u.s. taking action to stop an eminent terrorist attack. where it becomes more of an issue and a question is if it's just somebody who's he is spousing views that we don't like of recruiting terrorists and where's the line into crossing into imminence and a real threat to american lives. >> professor. >> i would insist that at least if i was the court review the evidence before the executive takes action against an american citizen. it's a violation of separation of powers to have the president be able to be judge jury and
4:16pm
executioner. if there is a compelling taste that someone is an actual threat, because there is a doctrine of self defense which is what's being invoked here mainly, then you ought to be able to demonstrate that to a judge. >> i don't believe that. i believe they are not going to judge us because they don't have the evidence. i know, that's heresy to say on television. i don't believe they have the evidence. you're not supposed to blindly trust your government. that's for other governments not a democracy. when we come back, there was a terrible shooting as there is almost every week. this was back in 2005 in washington. let me show you what happened there, first. >> i felt a concussion from the gunfire. >> i saw a man down the way running backward, shooting. >> confusion.
4:17pm
>> you can't believe it was really happening. it was frightening. >> the man shot in that incident joins us when we come back. he's got a powerful story to tell. if you think you know what it is, you don't know it at all. wait until you come back and see this.
4:18pm
4:19pm
(vo) later tonight current tv is the place for compelling true stories. >> jack, how old are you? >> nine. >> this is what 27 tons of marijuana looks like. (vo) with award winning documentaries that take you inside the headlines, way inside.
4:20pm
(vo) from the underworld, to the world of privilege. >> everyone in michael jackson's life was out to use him. (vo) no one brings you more documentaries that are real, gripping, current. >> cenk: back on november 28 2005, there was a terrible tragedy in at a in at tacom. >> i felt a concussion from the gunfire. >> i saw a man down the way running backward, shooting. >> confusion. >> i can't believe it was really happening. it was crazy. >> terror. >> i'm just mortified. i'm just horrified. >> cenk: and now, of course, we've seen that scene happen over and over and over again all across america.
4:21pm
the shooter in this case was dominic maldonald dough, 20 years old at the time. he wound up wounding seven people took four hostages inside a music store. currently serving 163 year sentence. the last person he shot was dan mccown. he shot him five times. please could not get to him for about an hour and a half. that wound up of course having bad consequences. he joins us now. he is also a stand up comedian, by the way with a comedy group called comedy kaleidoscope. here's the really interesting part of the story, you pulled a gun on the guy. >> yes. >> tell me why you had the gun in the first place. >> i've always carried a gun because these things have been happening since i was a child. i was promised that if something like this happened, i would try to stop it. problem was the word try but yeah, i mean, i remember hearing about the oh, gosh, now i'm
4:22pm
drawing a blink on the lady in new york. >> cenk: genevieve. >> yes, raped and murdered outside her apartment and people wouldn't call the police. i remember third grade there was a restaurant in texas that was shot up, and there was a sheriff there that she said that she just didn't have her gun. she wished she had her gun. because of that, i always vowed you know, when i was 21, get a handgun, carry it anywhere that i could legally. here i am in california and i don't have my handgun and while that didn't bother me previously, in the wheelchair, yeah, i feel a little more insecure about my safety. >> cenk: that's interesting. you heard the gunshots. >> yes. >> cenk: and you went towards them instead of away from them. >> yes i'm still proud of the fact that when i heard the gunshots, i drew my handgun and threw myself into the frame of the store. because you're at the edge of the store i've got a pretty good field of vision, but i don't have right along the
4:23pm
walls. when you're at the wall, you're looking at kind of like a pay cut. >> cenk: what happened next? >> there was a pause in the shooting. well first off all the people running by, i'm like where's the shooter, where's the shooter, if anything, i should have looked like a detective yelling where's the shooter where's the shooter, gun down, fingers on the side. i go where's the shooter i'm yelling at people with the gun behind me now. nothing, no one's cooperating because just -- oh, anyway. so i finally go ok, the shooting stopped. the guy was firing two different types of guns. it sounded like multiple shooters or firefights. when there was a pause in the shooting, i'm standing in the doorway of the store and thinking you know, if the police took this guy out i'm standing in the doorway some rookie might mistake me as another shooter. my hand's on it if i need it.
4:24pm
that's when he came into view. that he was walking with a gun like a briefcase vernon is that land. there's no muzzle flare. he gets a couple steps, because you're looking and your eyes track down and then you see the gun, because he's not moving in a fashion that seemed aggressive. he looks at me and so i'm standing there like napoleon ponaporte. i see interviews when i was interviewed on morphine. i saidun man, you need to put your weapon down. he spins around, i draw, because i thought he could be a terrorist, ashen complexion and barbing hair i aimed for his head. we're this distance, maybe further, but i don't want to leave my mark, because the director will hit me. but, you know, so it's not more difficult to hit him in the face
4:25pm
than the body. it was not changing the shot at all. i draw, aimed for his face, first shot and i don't know at the time how he's able to get these shots off on me. i thought he threw the gun off into his hand, because he rigged it to fire. kicked my gun into the air. i started to fall. then, you know, i'm trying to bring my pistol down. i prayed god please let me shoot this guy before he kills someone else. i was sure i was dead, the amount of pain. there's the sensation of fire and electricity just all going through your body. he shot me again and again and again and again and spun me like a pinwheeling as i went down. all i could do was glare at him the whole time, but cried out and that apparently scared him. >> dan the tribune once quoted you i'm looking at this guy as a kid. i didn't want to shoot him in the head.
4:26pm
was it that you didn't get the gun out in time. >> it wasn't that. the only pause might have been the couple steps he got walking by, because you're looking and he didn't have the mannerisms. the body language wasn't someone firing a weapon. body language was someone walking. no, i've been misquoted by the news tribune so many times i'm going to avoid print media. he did look like a kid period. i did aim for his head. in another sense i thought he had body armor. >> cenk: if you did not have a gun there find you you did the hero thing i get it. at least as you say in other places you did the brave thing you walked into it. >> i was flattered in that, yeah. >> cenk: you tried to help people. if you didn't have a gun, you would have walked away. >> no, couldn't. it's not how i was raised, i would have tried to grab a tripod off the rack and stage an
4:27pm
ambush. >> cenk: you got shot, when maybe, has it occurred to you that you might not have gotten shot. >> he had 600 rounds of unspent ammunition. i don't regret anything other than putting my gun away, because he would have kept shooting. there was no reason not to. he even tried to claim a self defense theme in one of his newspaper interviews, when he pointed a gun, it was self defense. >> cenk: how about those other guys. >> he had a strange lawyer. he tried all sorts of things and switched lawyers once or twice but no, i couldn't -- i can't live with pitches at the expense of other people's lives. there are people, like a mother of five could be shot, a child who could grow up to be a great physicist or cure cancer could have been shot. the father, the sole support of inincome for the family. now that i experienced paralysis, this is hell on earth and that could have been on other people.
4:28pm
600 rounds of ammunition. and if i could say something that is a little annoying, recently in prepping for the interview, what's the percentage of people that had concealed carry permits? of the hundred was people, how many had guns? there was one guy who pulled a gun, he was over by the jcpenney, just protected his family maldonado so you that and went another way. how many people would stand up and protect one another. >> cenk: that's really interesting. i want to talk to you more about that when we come back and what the government's going to do about it, as well. >> let's do the right thing for them and the country we love so much. arguments to feel confident in
4:29pm
their positions. i want them to have the data and i want them to have the passion.
4:30pm
4:31pm
4:32pm
>> the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. >> cenk: well, we have one of those good guys in the studio now, the victim of a shooting in 2005 in a mall in tacoma washington awarded the american legion's bravest man in america. >> the veterans of french conflicts are the ones that honored me locally and nationally, with all the other events going on no dan has a terrific upbeat attitude.
4:33pm
i don't know that i'd have the ability to do that after getting shot. what happened with the n.r.a. you would they they would love you, here's a guy who fought back. >> i did want to help because i do want to maintain my ability to have the tools i need for protecting myself and others, but so they're saying the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. i called them up, person at the front desk were nice about it, sent me to the appropriate department. rude, kind of condescending. then she sends me to another department, who was worse and it was just like i can help you with your argument, and they don't want to talk to me. >> maybe they think you can't because they think here's a guy who drew a gun and now is in a wheelchair. >> i also aside from putting his
4:34pm
gun away wouldn't change what i did, because 600 rounds of unspent ammunition would have been spent if somebody hadn't done something. >> cenk: it happened to while back. after dan approached him with a gun and gets shot, he goes and takes hostages. >> the very next store he takes the hostages that are hiding in there, because everyone was hiding. the store i was in was packed. it's petty and childish, my nerves i'm keeping cool and i look everyone's gone. there were 15 people that in store and they hid themselves completely and i was in the store and couldn't see any of them. >> cenk: do you wish you had shot him and put him down? >> i wish at this point he does something with his life. he already has an escape attempt where he got his partner killed, so it doesn't look like he's going that route. if this guy were to become a pastor in church, i would go i'm
4:35pm
glad i didn't kill him. if he doesn't do anything in his life and i'm in this paralyzed hell of a prison with things i'd rather not talk about, as well. yeah, i wish i would have shot him. he keeps getting second chances. he could have been shot in the prison escape like his partner. he keeps surviving these in sane stupid childish you stunts. >> cenk: he got married in prison, which is amazing. how do you feel about that? >> annoyed. hero of the tacoma mall, i'm still single. that idiot got a girlfriend and she talked me. she was sending me emails and trying to post a video to him. one of your directors asked for it. i don't know if you're going to show it, pictures of waterfall and flowers. >> he got married and now can
4:36pm
have visits. i get why this is obviously infuriating. i want to talk to you about the politics of this. 55% of americans support an assault weapon ban. 85% support universal background checks. >> background checks, no problem. my weapon's registered. i understand that i'm from washington state where we do have mountain men that want to live off the grid. i get that. here's my suggestion. i don't think if you'll think it's as funny as other people. if we're having trouble getting our guns limited. i have a 16 round clip, that could do a firefight you. give me a six to eight round clip that's a shootout. if it turns into a firefight i'm gone. i don't want to carry a bandelier of clips. that makes me look like trouble. why not register the magazines.
4:37pm
f.b.i. finds somebody that orders 20 magazines, high capacity the guys probably going to be truly. that a normal citizen would buy one or two. >> cenk: there's no reason to have an assault weapon. look at the damage he did. he shot you five times in a matter of how many seconds? >> original constitution, it's the final check and balance should the government become corrupt. military coups. >> cenk: what's the biggest danger, the government doing that, you know i don't trust the government at all. >> how many coupes have we had in this holes fear, though? >> cenk: a lot of them were because of us. >> and another thing is, it is another check and balance to anyone that would have invaded. we actually have legitimate wars with mexico at one point. mexico was a very formidable power in our early years. >> cenk: it was over 100 years ago. >> understood. but we do have a tradition of this and it is a final check and
4:38pm
balance. i'm not saying rocket launchers and all this, and i don't own an assault weapon. i had one briefly someone traded to me. i couldn't secure it in my house. all i could imagine was someone breaking into my house and going off and shooting somebody. it's like i can't secure this, it's gone, i've got to get rid of this thing. there are people that want them and their argument i don't think is completely without merit, so it's no the for me, but that's why i'm saying, they want those guns track the high capacity clips and then n.r.a., it's a loophole the n.r.a. saying look we want those rifles. we're going to know who gets the clips. >> dan mccown, a man of obviously extraordinary bravery. if i got five times that might have made me rethink my position on assault weapons. >> it made me practice quick draw a little more. >> cenk: i hear you on that. if you see him in his home state of washington, he's packing, so be careful. >> got to protect my comics.
4:39pm
>> cenk: i hear you on that. thank you for joining us. really appreciate it, man great story. i love the way you're still doing comedy, man that's unbelievable, everybody check out dan's website. and friend him on facebook, as well. when we come back, we're going to talk about people on tour trying to find help for homeless kids. who does that anymore? we found the people and we're going to talk to them when we come back p.m. >> it's hard, i might have to go to the a homeless shelter and i don't want to go. >> i'm like why? and he said i can't explain it to you right now.
4:40pm
while your carpets may appear clean. it's scary how much dirt your vacuum can leave behind. add resolve deep clean powder before you vacuum to expel the dirt within your carpets. resolve's deep clean powder is moist. absorbing and lifting three times more dirt than vacuuming alone. leaving you with a carpet that's truly fresh and clean. don't just vacuum clean. resolve clean. when you consider the greatest minds of all-time, each of them started as a child a one point with nothing more than a pencil and a piece of paper. my name is adam braun. i'm the founder and ceo of pencils of promise.
4:41pm
you look at some of the most amazing monuments and buildings and inventions, when they are distilled down to where they began, their actual true core, it was just as a pencil sketch. education opens up doors, that's really what we try to focus on. we don't try and tell people "here is what you have to go do and here is the path ahead that you have to take." but, it's much more about creating a sense of possibility and allowing each child to dictate their own path. we build schools and increase access to education for children around the world and we have now broken ground on over a hundred schools in africa, asia and latin america. if you think about the way that the world was 50 years ago and you think about how the world is going to look 50 years from now, i cannot imagine that every single child thats born doesn't have some opportunity to have access to quality education. the schools that we build and will continue to build will be a
4:42pm
very important piece to that puzzle, but it's innovation through technology that's going to be able to reach the masses in ways that we have never been able to do so before. and so a big part of pencils of promise going forward is going to be investment in education technology for those that don't have access. it started with a pencil reading, writing and physical books are really an important piece to solving lobal education but the limitless possibilities that technology will afford us to educate children all around the world is something that i get really, really excited about. >> cenk: now we have another amazing story. a tour's been started called epic, every day people in cries
4:43pm
highlighting the homeless crisis. they are calling themselves the babes of wrath. diane in 2005, it was a 20,000-mile journey in 24 different states. they join us in the studio, thank you for joining us. >> happy to be here. >> cenk: tell me about the tour, how does it work, who do you see, what do you do? >> we traveled to different communities throughout the southwest to help people understand that there are homeless kids and families and duties out in their own community. we may give presentations show the film, talk to kids, interview, visit whatever we can do to find out about homelessness and help the community. >> so, how do you help those kids pat? let's say you're in wherever it is albuquerque. you've got the homeless kids and
4:44pm
you've found it. >> we try to tell them with the resources they have, especially children. a lot of kids that are homeless don't realize that they don't have to lose their school or friends. we are kind of putting them in touch by showing diane's videos with the information they need so they can stay as normal a bunch of kids as possible. you can't have a sleepover party when you're in a homeless shelter. >> cenk: of course. there's a lot of demonizing of the homeless these days, it's your fault. you interact with them all the time. it's kind of a funny thing to ask, but tell us what they're like. is there any truth to that nonsense? >> the demonizing happens for the duties, mostly. the kids get ignored. and that's really been the problem is our country doesn't know that we have millions of
4:45pm
kids babies, toddlers, with their parents some without that are homeless. they're the ones that are struggling so survive and to get out of it, and our country doesn't even know we have that problem. no, these are kids that are kids, and they really are looking for a chance. the kids in my own four walls video, they just want to go to school and they want to have a chance to be successful. >> cenk: pat, you know, assuming there's a range of how people got in that situation what do you see most often. >> the makers and takers, they're the makers. they're just making such a low in come, minimum wage, two jobs. we spoke to a woman yesterday in l.a. who has two jobs at two different hotels to try and make friends meet and she herself is living in a hotel because they condemned her apartment didn't have money for a new security deposit and boom, she's
4:46pm
homeless. these are the makers. that is the big evident surprise i run into. people think they are all out of work and being out of work is bad enough. when i ran a shelter, we had you know, half a dozen people who left that place every day in a fast food uniform. they're working making you cheeseburger, if you feel bad about eating it because a person just lives in a homeless shelter, he be joy the meal, you know. >> how about the government, are there sufficient programs to help or, i mean, i'm sure we can always do more. what do you direct to and do you think the government's doing enough. >> certainly the government is a big part, one of the legs of the solution, and their $2 billion a year to help is so inefficient. the government actually did something really good that has not gotten any coverage and that is the stimulus fund, money to help families get out of
4:47pm
homelessness or prevent homelessness, a billion eight got spent to prevent homelessness. that's what we need to invest in, and we're not. >> cenk: if you could spend the money on anything, what's the most effective way of spending it to help homeless people? >> houses. >> cenk: that's the most logical answer i've ever heard on this program. >> you can count on me for that. >> cenk: it's amazing. there's another story we didn't get a chance to do here. different cities are trying to find ways to decriminalize what they do, cops putting them in jail. they spend more than they would getting them a house. >> they spend more taking the kids away and putting them in foster care then they would getting the parents a house. it's a crazy system.
4:48pm
>> cenk: everybody check out hear us. thanks so much. when we come back, serious story about rape in the military. apparently oftentimes, no justice at all. we're going to talk to the husband of a woman who was terribly assaulted. >> this goes everywhere with me. you always have protection with jesus, but sometimes you need just a little bit more. >> her husband joins us next to tell his side of the story about the lack of justice in this case. come right back. twizzlerize your entertainment everyday with twizzlers the twist you can't resist.
4:49pm
4:50pm
4:51pm
>> cenk: we told you before about the problems of sexual assault in the military. department of veteran affairs has stunning numbers on that. remember, this is the department of veteran affairs reportedding the numbers. according to them, 48.6% of women in the military have been sexually harassed and 22.8 sexually assaulted or raped. those are shockingly high. there's a documentary called invisible war talking about women in the military who have been assaulted. one is corey choka.
4:52pm
she has an amazing story to tell. >> i've never seen trauma like i have seen from veterans who have suffered sexual trauma. >> this goes everywhere with me. you have protection from jesus but sometimes you need more. >> most assume there is a system of justice. >> i remember holding the closet thinking what just happened. >> cenk: oh, you know, it's heartbreaking to see it every time. the guy only got 30 days of base restriction and loss of pay. meanwhile, she has nerve damage in her face and the u.s. department of defense refuse to say coffer her for that. we're going to talk to her husband, robert mcdonald, one of the few husbands that have come forward for survivors of military abduction. i want to ask you about what happened in your wife's case.
4:53pm
why was the punishment so insignificant and what do you think went wrong in the system? >> i think that's just how it is in the military, the man's pretty much viewed as always right and they always sweep it under the rug. the woman's always wrong which usually leads to her getting discharged. >> did cory get discharged? >> well, when she reported it, the commander didn't do anything about it. they didn't act quickly enough. she till had to serve in the same duty section with the guy for another two or so weeks, and then, you know, they viewed it her boss said he wasn't going to do anything about it and for her pretty much to be why he about
4:54pm
it. >> cenk: that story is amazing. she's got nerve damage because the guy clubbed haar in the head and he admits that this happened except he says it was consensual. that well, consensual affairs don't usually start with someone clubbing the other person over the head. when you go to the debt of defense for example and ask them for help on the nerve damage, what on god's green earth do they tell you? >> well, yeah, that makes no sense for it to be consensual, yet he hit her and yet that's what the military, that was a sufficient answer for them and that made everything ok. the v.a. has been nothing but trouble, as well. you know, they -- it's more like torturing corey. they don't acknowledge, you know, her medical issues, they
4:55pm
don't fix the problem and they usually put it off. we've had self problems with doctors at our local v.a. who pretty much roll their eyes at corey when she says what happened to her and they don't take her serious and that's pretty much what it's been like for the past almost seven years. >> cenk: robert. >> until this film has come out. >> cenk: now that you've gone through this would you go so far as saying if you're a woman joining the military is not necessarily a good idea under these circumstances? >> well, i definitely would fought want my -- i have a daughter, i would not want her to join the mill tea how it is. i know there's changes, slowly coming in and they're saying that it's going to be taken out of the unit's chain of command and moved if a woman comes forward or a man comes forward you know saying that something happened, but i don't think
4:56pm
that's enough. i would just use extreme caution if i was a female. i would definitely watch the invisible war before i signed up. >> cenk: that's really interesting. you know, of course, they're going to change the rules that no women can serve in the front lines, which a lot of them do anyway. we generally agree with that, but knowing these facts are you concerned about that or do you think that's a totally separate issue? >> it's kind of a separate issue. i think as long as a woman can you know, they have the same standards. if they can pass the same standards than a man, i don't see what the issue is. >> cenk: let me give you one more stat here. they say in 2011 alone there was 3,000 cases reported of school assault in the military. they suspected there was 19,000 total cases overall so only three out of the 19,000 were reported. again, why do you think that's the culture that's happening in the military where most of them aren't even being reported? >> there's a big fear of
4:57pm
reprisal. if you come forward the members you are serving along, there is retaliation, they don't believe you. they think you're the problem. you know a lot of people say that it will ruin their career if they come forward so i think they stay quiet for that reason. >> cenk: one last quick question. if there's one fix you can do to help the situation what would it be? >> i think that that's what the invisible war shows. it's not an anti-military film. my wife and i are very much pro military, but the goal of the film is to change laws within the military, and to educate the active duty members that are serving about military sexual trauma. i know that several branches have bought film to use as a
4:58pm
training tool. i think that that's very beneficial to the members of our military. >> cenk: robert mcdonald, thank you for join us and sharing your story. we appreciate it. >> thank you. >> cenk: we'll be right back. depressed mood and suicidal thoughts or actions while taking or after stopping chantix. if you notice any of these stop taking chantix and call your doctor right away. tell your doctor about any history of depression or other mental health problems which could get worse while taking chantix. don't take chantix if you've had a serious allergic or skin reaction to it. if you develop these stop taking chantix and see your doctor right away as some can be life-threatening. if you have a history of heart or blood vessel problems tell your doctor if you have new or worse symptoms. get medical help right away if you have symptoms of a heart attack. use caution when driving or operating machinery. common side effects include nausea trouble sleeping and unusual dreams. it helps to have people around you... they say you're much bigger than this. and you are. [ male announcer ] ask your doctor if chantix is right for you.
4:59pm
the chill of peppermint. the rich dark chocolate. york peppermint pattie get the sensation.

Terms of Use (10 Mar 2001)